News

Man charged with rape following Rivanna riverfront investigation

Man charged with rape following Rivanna riverfront investigation

Anthony Lorenzo Watkins, 57. Photo: Contributed/Charlottesville Police Department


CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (CVILLE RIGHT NOW) – A 57-year-old man is facing a rape charge after Charlottesville Police say a woman reported being sexually assaulted at the Rivanna riverfront encampment.

According to the Charlottesville Police Department, officers were dispatched to the Free Bridge homeless encampment after receiving a report of a sexual assault. When they arrived, they spoke with the victim, who told officers she had been raped while at the encampment.

Detectives, patrol officers and forensic personnel responded to investigate the reported assault. Police identified the suspect as Anthony Lorenzo Watkins, 57. Following the investigation, Watkins was taken into custody and charged with rape, in violation of Virginia Code 18.2-61.

Police have not released additional information about the circumstances of the alleged assault, citing the victim’s privacy and the ongoing investigation.

The case comes amid continued public attention surrounding the Rivanna riverfront encampment. In a statement, the Charlottesville Police Department said it has increased resources dedicated to the area, including additional personnel and technology, in an effort to improve safety for people living in and around the encampment.

While the department has not established 24-hour staffing at the site, officials said they are working to maximize law enforcement presence and plan to continue adding public safety measures aimed at protecting vulnerable community members.

The investigation remains ongoing. Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.

Latest Stories

3 hours ago in Sports

No. 1 overall pick Azzi Fudd of the Dallas Wings is set for season-ending surgery on sore knee

Dallas Wings guard Azzi Fudd is set for season-ending surgery on a sore knee that has sidelined this year's No. 1 overall pick for the past five games.

3 hours ago in Sports

Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull to 2030 after he weighed up leaving F1

Max Verstappen says he seriously considered leaving Formula 1 before the four-time champion instead committed to four more years with Red Bull on Thursday.

3 hours ago in Sports

Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers to play NHL games in Germany in 2027

The Boston Bruins and Edmonton Oilers will each play two regular-season games in Germany next year as part of the NHL and NHLPA's efforts to grow hockey in the country, the league announced Thursday.