News

Powhatan Gas Station Fire Blamed On Static Electricity

Powhatan Gas Station Fire Blamed On Static Electricity

Photo: WINA

There was a massive fire at a gas station in Powhatan County Thursday night. Officials believe it was caused by static electricity from the driver of a car. The driver was not injured and there were nobody else at the gas station was injured. That type of fire can occur when somebody re-enters their vehicle while pumping gas and then discharges static electricity buildup when they get out of the car and remove the nozzle from the tank. Safety officials say 50% of such firesĀ involved somebody getting back into the car while the gas was still flowing into the tank. If a fire does happen, they say you should leave the nozzle in the vehicle to prevent the fire from becoming more dangerous.

Latest Stories

3 mins ago in Entertainment

Alden Ehrenreich cast as Han Solo in ‘Star Wars’ spinoff

Fresh
ehrenreich260221408342

He will take on the role of Solo, previously made famous by Harrison Ford, in Disney's standalone movie about the life of the hero before he first made his appearance in 1977's "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope."

17 mins ago in National

U.S. cracks down on e-cigarettes and cigars, bans sales to minors

Fresh
vapingREUTERS

The U.S. government took wide-ranging steps to crack down for the first time on e-cigarettes and cigars, growing in popularity among teens, and banned sales to anyone under age 18 in hopes of sparing a new generation from nicotine addiction.

20 mins ago in National

Senators urge regulators to ID vehicles with possible faulty Takata air bags

Fresh
takata

Two U.S. Senators urged auto safety regulators to publicly name the makes and models of tens of millions of vehicles with potentially faulty Takata air bag inflators, according to a letter made public late on Thursday.