City firefighters responded to a burning smell Sunday night at the 500 Court Square Building, which used to be the Monticello Hotel. Fire Chief Charles Werner says his crews had to break into an apartment on the fourth floor and found a small fire. Werner says a woman and her pet bird were allowed to return home after a team ventilated the apartment. He says the smoke alarm was not working and a new one was installed before she returned to her apartment. The incident happened at around 10 p.m. Sunday.