News

Social Security closes offices as baby boomers age

Social Security closes offices as baby boomers age

SOCIAL SECURITY:This photo shows the Social Security Administration's main campus in Woodlawn, Md. A new congressional report says the Social Security Administration has been closing a record number of field offices, even as millions of baby boomers approach retirement. The agency blames budget constraints. As a result, seniors seeking information and help from the agency are facing increasingly long waits in person and on the phone. Photo: Associated Press/Patrick Semansky

STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — A new congressional report says the Social Security Administration has been closing a record number of field offices, even as millions of baby boomers approach retirement.

The agency blames budget constraints.

As a result, seniors seeking information and help from the agency are facing increasingly long waits, in person and on the phone.

The report was done by the bipartisan staff of the Senate Special Committee on Aging. It says Social Security has closed 64 field offices since 2010, the largest number of closures in a five-year period in the agency’s history. The agency has also closed 533 temporary mobile offices that often serve remote areas.

The Senate committee is holding a hearing on the report Wednesday afternoon.

Latest Stories

in Local Sports, Sports, UVA Sports

Virginia Defeats Cleveland State 70-54 To Remain Unbeaten

Fresh
VSabre for web~1240x800 copy

Virginia continues their undefeated season with a 70-54 win.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.