News

More than 3M child car seats recalled

More than 3M child car seats recalled

CAR SEAT: Graco is recalling 3.8 million car seats. Photo: clipart.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — A company that makes car safety seats is recalling nearly 3.8 million of them because children can get trapped by buckles that may not unlatch.

But the action by Graco doesn’t satisfy federal regulators, who say the recall should include another 1.8 million rear-facing car seats designed for infants.

The recall covers 11 models made from 2009 through 2013 by Graco Children’s Products of Atlanta.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it’s the fourth-largest child seat recall in U.S. history.

But the agency has criticized Graco, saying that the recall excludes seven infant car seat models with the same buckles. It says the company and the government have received complaints about stuck buckles on those seats — and that parents have sometimes had to cut harness straps to remove their child.

Graco says its tests found that food or beverages can make the harness buckles sticky and harder to use. A spokeswoman says the rear-facing infant seats aren’t being recalled because infants don’t get food or drinks on their seats. She says the company will send replacement buckles to owners of infant seats on request.

Latest Stories

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."