News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Latest Stories

in Sports, Viral Videos

David Beckham for ‘D&J Briefs’

21-overlay5

It's underwear for a man with a great body ... and David Beckham.

in Music

Glenn Frey eyes Eagles musical

glennfrey

The guitarist is contemplating developing a musical based on songs of the Eagles.

in Music

Roger Daltrey predicts this is the last Who tour

rogerdaltrey

Roger Daltrey says he used to try to sing like it's the first time, but now he sings for what might be the last time.