Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. HEALTH CARE ENROLLEES ENDURE BLIZZARDS, LINES, GLITCHES
Across the nation, interest in getting health insurance and avoiding the penalty was piqued as midnight deadline loomed.
2. WHOSE EARLY RELEASE MAY BE ON MIDEAST NEGOTIATING TABLE
The United States is said to be discussing letting convicted spy Jonathan Pollard cut short his life sentence as an incentive to Israelis in the troubled peace negotiations.
3. HUMAN AND FINANCIAL TOLLS CLIMB IN WASHINGTON
Gov. Jay Inslee says estimated losses from the deadly mudslide that has killed at least 24 people have reached $10 million.
4. REPORT FINDS ASIAN CHILDREN IN U.S. MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED
Whites are close behind, but the Annie E. Casey Foundation says numbers for African-Americans, Latinos and American Indians are “distressingly lower” in every state.
5. WHY AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL WILL BE DEPLOYED OVER INDIAN OCEAN
So many planes are searching for the missing Malaysian Airlines jet, a modified Boeing 737 has been sent to prevent midair collisions.
6. WHERE FOOD-TRACKING ID CARDS ARE BEING ISSUED
Venezuelan patrons will register with fingerprints; a computer system will monitor purchases. Some say it will foil hoarding amid staple shortages; others call it Cuba-style rationing.
7. CONGRESS MOVES TO DELAY PAY CUT FOR MEDICARE DOCTORS
The latest_and 17th— temporary fix to a broken 1997 payment formula postpones the 24 percent reduction in government reimbursements.
8. ALBUQUERQUE POLICE CHIEF PLANS REFORMS
Following a protest by hundreds that turned violent, the force’s new leader says changes will be made to recruitment. Officers have been involved in 23 fatal shootings since 2010.
9. HOW MARK ZUCKERBERG REAPED A $3.3 BILLION GAIN LAST YEAR
The Facebook founder exercised his stock options to realize the windfall — which comes with a huge tax bill.
10. HIGH-TECH HELP FOR BASEBALL’S UMPS
The use of expanded replay on opening day results in two missed calls getting fixed fast, without any arguments.